As the performing arts sector continues to face unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Arts Centre has responded with Grand Acts of Theatre, an initiative to bring Canadian artists and audiences together. Eleven of Canada’s most innovative theatre companies have been engaged to create and perform large-scale, new works in response to these times, which will be performed outdoors in front of live audiences in various Canadian locations, filmed, and later shared online.
With Intramural.e, we will transform a local outdoor basketball court (moved to the TCM parking lot) into a colourful work of contemporary street art in order to serve as a temporary performance venue for various types of competitive dance styles, including Indigenous Powwow, queer ballroom, and hip-hop categories.
This interdisciplinary act of theatre reclaims and honours public community space, highlighting competitive performance styles that have been policed and suppressed in the past, while increasing access to the performing arts in the process.
This event will be photographed and recorded, with excerpts being presented online at a later date, so we are advising all attendees that by attending the event, individuals are deemed to consent to the recording of their image and use of their image in connection with recordings and photographs of the event, which may be published. All video recordings and images of the event captured by the organizers shall be the sole property of organizers and all rights of personality, publicity, privacy, or other rights of participants in recordings or photographs shall be deemed to have been waived
- Artistic Directors, Event Managers, SAC: Chloe Chafe, Andrew Eastman
- Executive Director, TCM: Geneviève Pelletier
- Artistic Assistance, TCM: Anna-Laure Koop
- Technical Director, TCM: Miguel Fortier
- Communications, TCM: Maxine Robert
- Communications, SAC: Joy K. Balmana
- Mentorship Leader: Andrew Sannie, Grape Experimental
- Video Director: Jen Doerksen, BNB Studios
- Videographers: Buio Assis, Quincy Houdayer, BNB Studios
- Graphic Design, Muralist: Peatr Thomas
- Drag Curator: Levi Foy, Prairie Sky
- Choreographer: Maribeth Tabanera, Kilusan
- Sound Designer: Felix Azuka Idigbe
The National Arts Centre Foundation wishes to thank RBC Foundation as Presenting Partner of Grand Acts of Theatre.
Grand Acts of Theatre is made possible thanks to the support from The Jenepher Hooper Fund for Theatre at the National Arts Centre Foundation, established as a result of a generous gift from the estate of Jenepher Margaret Hooper.